- 2 lbs tomatoes on the vine
- 3 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 flatbreads, each 4-inch x 12-inch
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2 oz basil, torn
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Cut tomatoes in half and toss with 2 oz extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 oz thyme, and 1/2 tbsp salt. Place tomatoes cut side down on a sheet rack lined with roasting rack. Bake 4-6 hours or until the tomatoes have dried out by 3/4. After they are dry, let cool enough to comfortably handle and peel skin off. Mince tomatoes and add remaining thyme, extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper. Refrigerate until needed.
Preheat oven to 420 degrees. Spread tomato mix onto flatbread, covering completely. Top with 2 oz sliced mozzarella. Bake 6-7 minutes. Place on cutting board, top with basil, cut into 2-inch strips and serve.