- 4 beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup corn kernels (from 1 large ear)
- 2 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Slice top 1/2 inch from tomatoes and scoop out flesh (reserve for later). In a medium skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Add corn and scallion whites and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in jalapeno, beans, 1/4 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with 1 tsp oil. Brush tomato skins with 1 tsp oil, season all over with salt and pepper, and place in dish. Fill tomatoes with corn mixture. Combine remaining 1/4 cup cheddar, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, and 2 tsp oil, season with salt and pepper, and divide among tomatoes. Tent dish loosely with foil and bake 10 minutes. Uncover and bake until tomatoes are soft and breadcrumbs are deep golden, about 5 minutes more.
Pan con Tomate: Spread reserved tomato flesh on rustic bread. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 450 degrees until edges are deep.